home


September 5, 2012

Montmartre & the Salvador Dalí Museum

Montmartre used to be a village on the outskirts of Paris, but as the city grew, this charming, hilly, cobble-stoned area was eventually integrated into Paris. "Back in the day," so to speak, starving artists and bohemians frequented this area. At the base of the Montmartre hill lies the famous Moulin Rouge and Pigalle, the red light district of Paris.

Lucky for me, the metro line I live close to takes me directly to Montmartre! I surfaced from the metro at Abbesses (TAKE THE ELEVATOR UP - I made the mistake of using the stairs, and I think I hiked up about 10 floors-worth of stairs) and the first thing I saw was a vintage clothing store. I immediately went inside to see what they offered, and was extremely happy to see dresses priced at 10 euros and skirts at 5! I didn't end up buying anything, but I will definitely return someday.

I meandered in the general direction of Sacré Coeur Basilica, which means I basically headed uphill. If you ever get lost in Montmartre, just go upwards and you'll eventually reach something recognizable.

After stopping to buy a crepe sucre, I stumbled upon the Place du Tertre, where hundreds of artists set up shop, most offering live portraits. I didn't check the price for getting a portrait drawn, but I'd really like to have one of my own.

I then bought some Art-Nouveau post cards and found my way to the Sacré Coeur. It is so beautiful! The white stone looks amazing against a blue, partly cloudy sky. And the view of the city is pretty amazing as well. I couldn't take any pictures inside the church, but I think the outside does it justice.

{Sacré Coeur}
{The view from Sacré Coeur}

{Architectural Detail}


I also visited the Salvador Dalí museum. I'll be honest and say: this museum is very small. Although I got a student discount, I can't quite say that it was worth paying the entrance fee. The museum itself consists of only three rooms plus a bookstore, and there weren't any of his major works. However, if you're a Dalí maniac and would appreciate his minor works (illustrations and sculpture), then go for it!

{Alice in Wonderland - the Caterpillar}
{Mad Tea Party}
{Surrealist Interior Design??}
{Surrealist Sculpture}

Coming next: Areas around the Louvre

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got two cents to pitch in? Go for it! I adore comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...